Clear all

Nautilus Pearls

18 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
15.1 K Views
(@Anonymous)
New Member Guest

Hi!, I´m new in the forum, I´ve found it very interesting, thank you all!
I was reading about the Nautilus pearls.
My mother owns an object, I think it is a "Nautilus shell´s body" with a silver ornament around it.
It has like a little door in the front, made by a jeweler, when you open it it is the pearl inside.
Also in the front of the little door (despite the photo is very bad) you can see another little drop pearl hanging there.
The silver has some french hallmaks on it.
The pity was that her maid threw it to the floor while cleaning, and the Nautilus shell got broken on a side.
Is it possible it is a Nautilus pearl??
Thanks for you help!

Attached files

Posted : 04/08/2013 5:27 am
(@shihaan)
Member Admin

Hello "tentate",

Welcome to our forums!!!!

We will take a closer look at the photos and answer your post within 24 hours.

Meanwhile please join our facebook page (Click like at the bottom of this page-Floatbar). Please invite all your friends on facebook to our page.

Thanks in advance

Posted : 04/08/2013 6:35 am
Lareef
(@lareef)
Reputable Member

Hello Tentate,
I have studied the images you uploaded relevant to the question you have raised, after enlarging the photos using XnView. As you have suggested the object appears to be a portion of a Nautilus Shell. The two halves of the shell after opening the object, reveal the iridescent inner layer of the Nautilus shell. However, the pearl inside is definitely not a Nautilus Pearl. After enlargement using XnView, the pearl appears to be a creamy-orange Melo melo pearl produced by the Gastropod Mollusk, the Melo melo sea snail. The shimmering effect known as "flame stucture" a type of chatoyancy, is clearly visible in the enlarged image of the pearl. Most of the rare Nautilus pearls known are pure white in color, and rarely have a pinkish overtone.
The drop-shaped white pearl hanging inside appears to be a normal, saltwater, nacreous pearl.
The views expressed here are my own personal opinion, based on the images you have forwarded to us.
However, we would try to obtain a second opinion from an expert dealing with pearls, either confirming or rejecting the above views.
The enlarged images using XnView are also included here for examination by anyone interested.

Attached files

Senior Editor

Posted : 04/08/2013 11:17 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: